Last Week on Lytherus is our weekly wrap-up column summarizing the biggest news of the past week! With over a dozen posts going up on Lytherus per day, it’s likely you may have missed an important story or two!
This week was a huge week for the fantasy, scifi, and horror genres, with Marvel again dominating the news, with an announcement of the actor playing Ultron in Avengers 2 and lots of new Guardians of the Galaxy information. However, this week’s biggest story goes to Joss Whedon’s discussion of whether or not he’ll be killing off an Avenger! We also saw a number of previously-unreleased alternate scenes and endings from The Avengers and Iron Man 3 hit the web, one of which showed that The Wasp was originally set to be in The Avengers.
Lots of new Harry Potter book covers hit the market this week celebrating the fifteen anniversary of Harry Potter. Meanwhile, Nintendo announced a major price cut for its Wii U and a new Nintendo 2DS — a new version of its handheld game console that does not show games in 3D. Plus we have first looks at many of this fall’s upcoming television shows… and set pictures from Game of Thrones season four filming!
Let’s dive right in to the full break down of this week’s biggest and best fantasy, scifi, and horror news and content:
- Featured author week: Alison Croggon (‘Black Spring’) visits Lytherus!
- New book releases, week of August 27th: All the new YA hardcovers are on my reading list
- Lytherus exclusive interview with ‘Black Spring’ author Alison Croggon!
- Five characters we NEED to see in the ‘Marvel Cinematic Universe’ going forward
- Fresh off the Slab Horror Movie News August 30, 2013: ‘Bloody Homecoming’, ‘The Hunted’, and ‘Carrie’
- Vivian Chung joins Lytherus as our new anime and manga guru!
- Game Review: Blizzard’s new title ‘HearthStone’ shows love to the TCG genre in all of the right places as it enters closed beta
- Book Review: Alison Croggon goes to beautifully dark places in ‘Black Spring’
- Book Review: ‘Children of Fire’ struggles with a dependence on fantasy staples
- Book review: If you’re stranded in the Jundland Wastes and can only have one book, I’d recommend ‘Star Wars Kenobi’
- Will Joss Whedon be killing off an Avenger in ‘Avengers 2′?
- See four new scenes from ‘The Avengers’, including an alternate ending, thanks to released official animated videos
- New clips and an alternate ending for ‘Iron Man 3′ make their way online
- The Wasp was originally set to appear in ‘The Avengers’, revealed in new animatic
- Marvel announces that James Spader will play Ultron in ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’
- First full length ‘Divergent’ trailer is finally here — and it’s awesome!
- Go behind the scenes of ‘Divergent’ to see tons of new footage in this brand new featurette
- J.J. Abrams’ ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ has an official production date, potentially confirming Christmas 2015 release
- Press visit to the set of ‘Ender’s Game’ reveals some incredible new information about the film
- ‘Warcraft’ movie finally moving forward with a January 2014 filming date
- New set photos, video, and plot details for ‘Transformers 4′, including a Dinobots confirmation!
- New behind the scenes featurette for ‘Riddick’ hits the web
- Chris Pratt, lead actor in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’, talks new details on the film, including what to expect from the adaptation
- Bradley Cooper officially joins the cast of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ as Rocket Racoon
- Learn more about the characters of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ from Marvel’s Kevin Feige
- Hunger Games Explorer adds final tribute to the arena, bringing with it a new still from the film
- Studio Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki, of ‘Princess Mononoke’ and ‘Spirited Away’ fame, announces his retirement
- New GMA clip with J.K. Rowling celebrates on sale day of series’ new covers!
- Six new ‘Harry Potter’ covers for the UK adult copies of the book revealed by Bloomsbury
- New quote from ‘Divergent’ trilogy’s ‘Allegiant’ released by EW!
- Crescendo of ‘The Walking Dead’ novels to be released in October
- Many new plot details for the next season of ‘True Blood’, including Eric’s involvement and zombie vampires
- New posters released for new CW shows ‘The Originals’, ‘The Tomorrow People’, and ‘Reign’
- The CW releases first promotional poster for season two of ‘Arrow’
- Panic, chaos, and Daryl Dixon: TV spot for ‘The Walking Dead’ season 4 has been released
- Three minute preview of ‘Revolution’ season three released by NBC full of new footage
- New ‘Orphan Black’ season two information surfaces, including news on more clones and Cosima’s health
- ‘Game of Thrones’ season four begins filming, bringing new cast and set photos