Paramount has launched a new free promotional app for JJ Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness which promises to unlock new and exclusive content leading up to the movie’s release. A press release distributed by Paramount describes the app as giving fans “unprecedented access to all STAR TREK content, as well as the opportunity to participate in missions and win valuable prizes.” We’re not exactly sure what this content will be, but the press release continues by citing examples of content fans can expect going forward, including:
- A geofencing function for location-based experiences such as encouraging viewers to go to the movies
- An audio scan function that can be turned on to automatically recognize and reward users for watching “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” content on TV and other media
- An image scan function that enables users to interact with images printed or viewable in the real world
- New “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” content, such as videos, images and wallpapers delivered directly to users’ mobile devices
- Exclusive opportunities and special offers only available to app users
Paramount is encouraging fans to download the app before the second quarter of the Super Bowl (tomorrow) for access to “surprise content”. They don’t elaborate on what this content is, but it could be new footage or a trailer for the movie.
Honestly, we’re not sure the app sounds too promising. It looks as though the app’s sole function will be encouraging those who are obviously already interested in seeing the film to see the film, and for Paramount to market film-related items to its fan base. But hey, we could be wrong here. Either way, the app is free and promises a surprise during the Super Bowl!
The free app is available through the Apple App Store and Google Play.