It has been an insane 72 hours for the Assassin’s Creed franchise. Following the teaser posting on the official Assassin’s Creed Facebook page that a “major” announcement was en route, leaked box art confirmed what many fans were really hoping for – Assassin’s Creed 3 is set in the American Revolution. In addition to all the teasers we have been getting, we are finally receiving some concrete details about what to expect from the actual Assassin’s Creed 3 gameplay.
The details come courtesy of a posting at NeoGaf that outlines the upcoming Game Informer article . Included are a number of intriguing pieces of information – too many to simply list out here.
As a result, we have put together the best ones we could find; however, head over to NeoGaf for the full list (including mild story SPOILERS) or wait and read the article when the new issue of Game Informer hits shelves later in the week:
- New hero called Connor/Ratohnhake:ton (pronounced Ra-doon-ha-gay-doo). He has an English father and Native American mother.
- A new traversal approach that has players leaping and climbing trees and mountain cliffs.
- Combat is focused on putting you on the offensive and based on speed/momentum. The main character has thousands of new and unique animations (no carry over from other titles) to support the new combat system. There’s no more target locking, it just automatically detects your target. Counter/defense are the same button to prevent turtling.
- Connor is in the heart of major battles, and they can now have a couple thousand guys on screen, whereas before it was capped at about 100.
- There will be all sorts of wilderness in the game referred to as the Frontier. The map of the Frontier is 1.5 times bigger than the entire map of Brotherhood.
- The world changes as time passes, so a field where a battle happened in one year may just be a series of empty encampments a few months later. The entire world will change with seasons, so the cities and the wilderness will all exist in both Summer and Winter settings.
- You can now leap over wagons or slide under obstacles, including navigating over and around moving objects. The free running stuff also has you jumping through windows to trees and then on top of church roofs.
- This game has the longest development cycle since AC1, and has twice the production capacity (in terms of work hours) and budget of Revelations.
- Character details:
-George Washington: Interacting with Washington is one of the core relationships of the game.
-Benjamin Franklin: He’s not a convenient inventor a la Da Vinci.
-Charles Lee: His role is a mystery.
- Connor enters battle with two weapons. The game uses the same controls in and out of battle.
- The tomahawk and knife are a “constant presence” in battle. They also let you do double counters and multiple takedowns, and you can chain kills.
Assassin’s Creed 3 releases on October 30, 2012, for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.