Marvel and Disney have premiered the first look at their upcoming “Avengers” movie at this year’s D23 Expo. Many noticed that Marvel skipped an Avengers showing at this year’s Comic-Con (completely unexpected), but it would appear that we now know why!
Be warned: this does contain some spoilers for the movie. Read ahead at your own risk!
Here’s our summary of the footage highlights:
- Footage begins with Loki in prison aboard the SHIELD plane
- Nick Fury is with Loki on the aircraft and shows Loki that he’s in a prison designed to hold the Hulk. The prison cell can have its floor dropped out with the flick of a switch — which Fury is sure to show Loki.
- “Loki knows they’re talking about the Hulk, calling him a mindless beast and wondering how desperate Fury must be to ally himself with the likes of such a creature”
- “[W]e see all the various personnel who are listening into this conversation, including Hulk’s human alter ego Bruce Banner, Black Widow, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, and S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Maria Hill.”
- Loki taunts Fury over his loss of the Cosmic Cube
- An interesting action sequence featuring Captain America and Thor apparently fighting each other. The scene ends with Thor about to hit Captain America’s shield with his hammer.
- Nick Fury’s Avenger’s mission statement is the voice-over for the various action scenes: “There was an idea to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become more. To fight the battles we never could.”
The best part of the footage is one that cannot be summarized, so here’s a look at io9’s description:
Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) is behind a bar counter, mixing himself a drink. He describes his teammates: “Let’s do a head count. We’ve got a couple master assassins, a demigod, and a living legend who kinda lives up to the legend” – that’d be Black Widow and Hawkeye, Thor, and Captain America. It’s then that we learn Stark is talking to Loki: “And you, big fella, have managed to piss off every single one of them.”
To this, Loki responds, “I have an army.” Stark’s eminently quotable and awesome response? “We have a Hulk.” We then see the Hulk roar, and the footage ends.
We doubt this footage will hit the web, though you never know with the way publicity works these days. If it does — you’ll be the first to know!
Be sure to check out some of our recent coverage of set pictures from the very public Avengers filming, still on-going!
[Footage information courtesy of io9]